Submissions Open: November 11th, 2019
Submission Deadline: February 10th, 2020
There is no submission fee!
There is not a theme for this issue.
All submissions should be sent via email. Please read the information below before submitting.
Each email entry’s subject line should include “Cellar Roots Submission – Genre” (Poetry, Fiction , Art, etc). The recommended format within the email is shown below.
Email Submission Format
- Pen name (if used- please include any punctuation wanted [Ex. JD Doe versus J.D. Doe])
- Contact info (email)
- Title of work
- Please provide a 100-word or less artist’s statement/synopsis of your work. This is optional for everyone except those submitting film or original music without lyrics.
- Film: Include length and resolution
- Music: Include length
- Visual art: Include length and height in inches, and resolution of the image (if known).
- Written work: Include word count.
- Cast/Crew: This applies to music and film. Please supply us with the names of your cast and crew, and indicate which are students.
Do not submit written work in a PDF. Please erase any mention of your name/other identifying information from your work before submitting. Your name will be added to your work during the publication process, but in order to keep judgement anonymous and unbiased, we cannot have any names present on the work while it is being judged.
All students are allowed five submissions.
Submit all pieces exactly as you expect the judges to review them. In other words, don’t expect anyone to edit your work; it is up to you to do that before submitting. If you need help with editing poetry or prose, visit the Writing Center on campus.
All accepted music and film submissions will be published on the Cellar Roots website and/or YouTube. However, selected frames from film submissions and lyrics can be incorporated into the hard-copy magazine. All work is to be submitted electronically.
For Any Submission
Work containing disturbing or graphic content should be tagged with a warning. Examples include: Extreme violence, sexual themes, rape/non-con, intense gore, self-harm, etc.
Genre Specific Guidelines
- Submissions must be double-spaced and in 12 pt. Times New Roman.
- 5,000 word limit.
- Fiction entries can be an excerpt from a larger work. Please only send us the excerpt, not the entire piece. If the piece is accepted, we will request the complete copy, which be will be made available on the Cellar Roots website.
- Each poem must not exceed 1,000 words.
- Please submit poem in Times New Roman. If the font you have chosen is significant to your work, submit with original font and make note in submission email.
- Submissions must be double-spaced and in 12pt Times New Roman.
- 5,000 word limit.
- Nonfiction entries can be an excerpt from a larger work. Please only send us the excerpt, not the entire piece. If the piece is accepted, we will request the complete copy, which be will be made available on the Cellar Roots website.
Submit all written work in a document.
Visual 2D or 3D Art
- Submit in JPEG format with a resolution of at least 300 dpi. Insufficient resolution may negatively affect the desirability of your work for inclusion in our journal.
- If you are submitting a photograph of your 3D art piece, the photos may be taken from as many angles as you desire. Please specify in your email that your submission is of a 3D piece, and not a photography submission.
- If the 3D piece was not made by you, please specify the artist’s name. The artist must also be an EMU student.
- If you are having issues in taking photos of your work, please contact Cellar Roots via email.
Film, animation, performance art
- Upload your films/performance to Vimeo, YouTube or your website and email us the link. Films can be between 30 seconds and 20 minutes (not including end credits).
- If your film is chosen you will be contacted and asked to send a drive with your film so we can upload it to our Youtube channel or website.
- Please send a 100-word or less artist’s statement/synopsis of your work, as well as a selected frame for us to publish within the magazine
- The following formats are preferred: mp4, mov, mpg, avi.
- If the song has lyrics please add a written copy in a word document. If no lyrics, please submit a 100-word or less artist’s statement/synopsis of your work.
- All music must be original (no covers unless it is an original arrangement).
Please send all submissions/inquiries to: